One of the emblematic projects of the Government of President Nayib Bukele, contemplated within the Cuscatlan Plan, is the construction of the Pacific Airport in the eastern part of the country.
The Government of El Salvador seeks to turn the eastern zone into a pole of economic development, encourage the growing demand for passengers abroad, develop international tourism and activate the Union Port.
This is how, through our autonomous community and the Strategic Projects Commission of the Presidency, on March 9th, 2020, the official launch of the International Public Contest was carried out, for the preparation of the Feasibility Studies, of the Project of the Pacific Airport in the eastern part of the country.
Provide an airport connection to the eastern area of El Salvador, in order to promote the potential to become a pole of economic development, encourage the growing demand for passengers abroad, develop international tourism and activate the Port of La Unión.
Timeline, Pacific Airport Study:
Have a feasibility study that contains:
- Demand of Airlines and Passengers
- Air traffic projections
- Alternative Airport Location in the Eastern Zone
- Internal and external connectivity to the airport
- Definition of blueprint
- Environmental, social, cultural evaluation of the project and area of influence.
Definition of the Environmental Management Plan
Social Impact Study
- Identify the population involved and affected directly or indirectly
- Determine compensation proposals, estimating the respective costs
Economic – Financial Study
- Generation of direct and indirect jobs within the construction and operation stage of the project.
- Population Benefited from the project.
- Income generation for the project owner.
- Social and economic benefits granted by the project.
- Infrastructure cost analysis
- Operating costs
- Environmental impact costs
- Project sustainability
- Income Projection
Design of financial economic model (PPP or traditional public works)
What we have done for the Airport Feasibility Study
- Invitation to Contest: March 6th, 2020.
- Delivery of Expression of Interest April 17th, 2020
- Closing Reception of Documents to be completed by companies interested in participating in the preparation of the study: August 14th, 2020
- Evaluation Process for Pre-Qualification of companies: From August 18th to 21st, 2020
- Have a list of Pre-Qualified companies: From August 24th to 26th, 2020
Next Steps for the Airport Feasibility Study
- Event to publicize pre-qualified companies: August 28th, 2020
- Preparation of offers: 30 days will have the companies to prepare their bids (September 04th to October 04th, 2020)
- 300 days to prepare the study: approximately until September 30th 2021, we will have the results of the feasibility study